Document Type : ORIGINAL RESEARCH PAPER
PhD Student in Department of Education and Counseling, Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences, Islamic Azad University (Central Tehran Branch), Tehran, Iran
Associate Prof. in Department of Educational Sciences, Faculty of Humanities, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran (Corresponding Author)
Associate Prof. in Department of Philosophy of Education, Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences, Kharazmi University, Tehran, Iran
Assistant Prof. in Department of Education and Counseling, Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences, Islamic Azad University (Central Tehran Branch), Tehran, Iran
SUBJECT AND OBJECTIVES: The present study has been conducted with the aim of getting to know the most important application of self-knowledge from the perspective of Allameh Tabatabai and Henri Bergson with a comparative view.
METHOD AND FINDING: The results of this research, which was carried out with a descriptive-analytical, comparative and inferential method, show that Allameh Tabatabai and Henri Bergson, prominent philosophers of the East and the West, by providing a solution to one of the most important challenges of modern man, propose a new and deep look for man to return to himself. In the first step, this research has addressed two areas of thinking in the knowledge of the self and, in the most general look at the components of the incorporeality of the self, the relationship between the soul and the body, the change in the self and the soul as the main agent of perception in the opinions and thoughts of Allameh Tabatabai and Bergson with a comparative view. The data collection tool was MAXQDA software, which was used to increase the accuracy of data coding and categorization.
CONCLUSION: According to the obtained results, Allameh Tabatabai considered the knowledge of God to be the most important result and the final goal of self-knowledge, and Bergson, looking intuitively at the soul and from another angle, introduced creative evolution as the best result of this knowledge.
- Abolghasem Baradaran, Mohammad Hassani, Mohammad Davoodi and Ali Sattari (2018), Allameh Tabatabai’s moral education with an emphasis on foundations, purpose, content, method and evaluation, Scientific Journal of Research in Islamic Education Issues, Summer 2018, No. 43/ISC (57-76).
- Anbarsooz, Mohammad (2014). The concept of intuition in Henri Bergson's thought. Master's thesis, Shahid Motahari Faculty of Theology and Islamic Studies, Mashhad: Ferdowsi University.
- Bagheri, Khosrow; Sajjadieh, Narges and Tawassoli, Tayebeh (2012). Research approaches and methods in the philosophy of education. Tehran: Institute of Cultural and Social Studies.
- Bergson, H. (1961). Les Deux Sources de la morale et de la religion. 100eme édition. Paris: Presses Universitaires de France. 340 p.
- Bergson, H. (1969). L'Evolution créatrice. 142eme édition. Paris: Presses Universitaires de France. 369 p.
- Bergson, Henry (1993). Creative Evolution. Translated by Aligholi Bayani. Tehran: Farhang Islamic Publishing House.
- Bergson, Henry (1997). Matter and memory: an approach to the relationship between body and soul, translated by Aligholi Bayani, Tehran: Farhang Islamic Publishing House.
- Bocheński, A. M. (2009). Contemporary European philosophy. Translated by Sharafuddin Khorasani. Ch4. Tehran: Scientific and Cultural.
- Britannica, the Editors of Encyclopaedia (2018). Creative Evolution. Encyclopedia Britannica.
- Deleuze, G. (1997). Le bergsonisme. Paris: Quadrige, Presses Universitaires de France.
- Deleuze, Gilles (2013). Bergsonism. Translated by Zohra Eksiri and Peyman Gholami. Tehran: Rozbahan.
- Ebrahimi Dinani, Gholamhossein (2016). Me and except me. Tehran: Research Institute of Hikmat and Philosophy of Iran. `
- Eslami, Mahdi and Mohammad Akwan (2020). Perception, the criterion for explaining the relationship between soul and body in Bergson's philosophy. Epistemological Research, 8(17), 25-46.
- FaramarzQaramaleki, Ahad (2015), Methodology of Religious Studies (new edition), Mashhad: Razavi University of Islamic Sciences.
- FayyazBakhsh, MohammadTaghi (2021). An introduction to the educational school of Allameh Tabatabai (RA), its history and theoretical and practical features, Qom: Vajepardaz Andisheh.
- Foroughi, Mohammad Ali (2020). The course of wisdom in Europe. Edited by Amir Jalaluddin Aalam. Tehran: Niloufar.
- Guerlac, Suzanne. (2021). Mis/Reading Bergson — On Time and Life and Matter, Bergsoniana [Online], 1 | 2021, Online since 01 July 2021, connection on 08 November 2021. URL: http:// journals.openedition.org/bergsoniana/345.
- Gunn, Alexander (2004), Bergson and his Philosophy. EBook by Juliet Sutherland and Charles Franks.
- Hollingdale, Reginald John (2008). Western Philosophy: An Introduction. Translated by Abdul Hossein Azarang, Tehran: Qoqnoos.
- Hussaini, Bibi Hakimeh (2014) The basics of Islamic education in Al-Mizan and its connection with the goals, principles and methods of education, supervisor: Morteza Irwani Najafi, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Shahid Motahari Faculty of Theology and Islamic Studies.
- Kadkhodaei, D. M., & Zeng, P. J. (2023). The Educational Thoughts in Islam and Confucius School. International Multidisciplinary Journal of Pure Life (IMJPL), 10(33), 27-61. doi: 10.22034/imjpl.2023.15471.1081
- Kermani, Alireza (2015). The truth and manner of inner behavior in the Qur'an from the perspective of Allameh Tabatabai, Qur'an Knowledge, Year 7, Number 1 (13 consecutive), pp. 81-100.
- Khosropanah, AbdolHossein (2018). Philosophy of Knowledge. Research and editing by Hossein Panahi Azad, Tehran: Ma'aref publishing office in cooperation with Institute of New Islamic Wisdom (Hikmat Novin Eslami).
- Matthews, Eric (2011). French philosophy in the 20th century, translated by Mohsen Hakimi, Ch2, Tehran: Qoqnoos.
- Pearson, Keith Ansel and John Mullarkey (2020). Bergson's philosophy. Translated by Mohammad Javad Piramardi. Tehran: Publications of Organization for Studying and Compiling Humanities Books of Universities (Samt).
- Pirmoradi, Mohammad Javad (2014). The philosophy of fluid existence is the most fundamental principle of Bergson's philosophy. Tehran: Soroush.
- Polin Raymond (1960). Bergson, philosophe de la création, Les Études bergsoniennes, Vol. V, Paris: PUF.
- Posteraro, Tano S. (2020) Canalization and Creative Evolution: Images of Life from Bergson to Whitehead and Beyond, Bergsoniana [Online], 2 | 2022, Online since 01 July 2022.
- Saeedi Hamidreza (2016) Relationship of self-awareness and Deity – cognizance on the point view of Allameh TabaTabaee, Mashhad: Ferdowsi University.
- SharafiJam, MohammadReza; Khalili, Samaneh, (2012) Comparative study of the philosophical foundations of Sheikh Eshraq and Bergson and its educational implications. Islamic education. No. 11. 110-81.
- Soltani Gazar, Mahdi (2012). Bergson's creative evolution and philosophy of organism. Occidental Studies, 2(2), 61-91.
- Tabatabai, Mohammad Hossein(1986). Principles of philosophy and method of realism, with footnotes by Morteza Motahari, Tehran: Sadra.
- Tabatabai, Mohammad Hossein (1997). Al-Mizan fi Tafsir al-Qur'an, Qom: Islamic Publications Office (affiliated with the Qom Seminary Teachers' Association).
- Tabatabai, Mohammad Hossein (2003). Path of mysticism. Translated by Sadegh Hassanzadeh. Qom: Bakhshayesh.
- Tabatabai, Mohammad Hossein (2009). Wilayat Nameh, Tehran: Revayat e Fath.
- Tabatabai, Mohammad Hossein (2010). Qur'an in Islam from the Shiite point of view. Qom: Islamic Publications.
- Tabatabai, Mohammad Hossein (2012). Risalah Al-Wilayah, In Persian: Commentary by Mohammad Hossein Rahimi, Tehran: Setare Qotbi.
- Tremblay, J. (1958). La notion de philosophie chez Bergson. Laval théologique et philosophique, 14(1), 30–76.
- Wahl, Jean (2002). Traité de Métaphysique. Translated by Yahya Mahdavi. Tehran: Kharazmi.