Document Type : ORIGINAL RESEARCH PAPER
PhD. in Department of Philosophy, Faculty of Humanities, Rice University, Texas, America, and Prof. in Department of Philosophy the Imam Khomeini Educational and Research Institute
SUBJECT AND OBJECTIVES: Purpose in this paper is to examine the criticism, explore the main issues raised, show how these issues are related to contemporary philosophical discussions, and suggest how Sadra’s position might be defended. Two kinds of defense will be suggested: first, we can surmise from Sadra’s works how he might have responded to the criticism; second, we can consider how a position like Sadra’s could be defended in view of contemporary philosophy.
METHOD AND FINDING: This research is a qualitative research with a critical analysis approach. One of the distinctive features of the philosophy of Mulla Sadra is his doctrine of the soul. He held that the soul evolves from the body. The human soul has its beginnings in material existence, but it evolves beyond the material and achieves eternal immateriality.
CONCLUSION: The idea that the incorporeal soul as a seperable substance, might have begun its existence as a corporeal substance and then changed into an incorporeal substance has been criticized by Allamah Misbah. His criticism raises a number of issues in the philosophy of mind, metaphysics, and Islamic theology.
- The Holy Quran.
- Akiba, Ken. and Abasnezhad, Ontic. (2014). Vague Objects and Vague Identity: New Essays on Ontic Vagueness. Dordrecht: Springer.
- Aristotle. (1984). The Complete Works of Aristotle. Edited by: Jonathan Barnes. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Bacon, Andrew. (2018). Vagueness and Though. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Belohlavek, Radim. Dauben, Joseph. and Klir, George. (2017). Fuzzy Logic and Mathematics: A Historical Perspective. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Bruylants, Gilles. Bartik, Kristin. and Reisse, Jacques. (2010). Is it Useful to Have a Clear-Cut Definition of Life? On the Use of Fuzzy Logic in Prebiotic Chemistry. Origins of Life and Evolution of Biospheres, 40(2), 137-143. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11084-010-9192-3
- Cleland, Carol. (2012). Life Without Definitions. Synthese, 185(1), 125-144. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11229-011-9879-7
- Dales, Richard. (1995). The Problem of the Rational Soul in the Thirteenth Century. Leiden: Brill Publishers.
- Evans, Gareth. (1978). Can There Be Vague Objects? Analysis. 38(4), 208. https://doi.org/10.1093/analys/38.4.208
- Hajatpour, Reza. and Elkaisy-Friemuth, Maha. (2021). Ibn Sina and Mulla Sadra: On the Rediscovery of Aristotle and the School of Isfahan. Baden-Baden: Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft.
- Homazadeh, Mahdi. (2020). Avicenna’s and Mulla Sadra’s Arguments for Immateriality of the Soul from the Viewpoint of Physicalism. Angelicum, 97(3), 367-390.
- Kanzian, Christian. and Legenhausen, Mohammad. (2010). Soul: A Comparative Approach. Frankfurt: Ontos Verlag.
- Legenhausen, Mohammad. (2014). Does God Have a Mind? (Soul and Body in Ethics and Anthropology). Academy of Islamic Sciences and Culture, 7, 158-202.
- Lewis, Franklin. (2000). Rumi: Past and Present, East and West. Oxford: Oneworld Publications.
- Massi Dakake, Maria. (2004). The Soul as Barzakh; Substantial Motion and Mulla Sadra's Theory of Human Becoming. The Muslim World, 94(1): 107-130.
- Miteva, Evelina. (2012). The Soul Between Body and Immortality: The 13th Century Debate on the Definition of the Human Rational Soul as Form and Substance. Philosophia. 1, 90-100.
- Obudiyyat, Abd al-Rasul. (2012). The System of Sadrean Philosophy: Anthropology. Qom: Imam Khomeini Educational & Research Institute.
- Parsons, Terence. (2000). Indeterminate Identity: Metaphysics and Semantics. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Priest, Graham. (2008). An Introduction to Non-Classical Logic: From If to Is. 2th Edition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Priest, Graham. (1998). Fuzzy Identity and Local Validity. The Monist. 81(2), 331-342. https://doi.org/10.5840/monist19988123
- Rezazadeh, Reza. (2011). Thomas Aquinas and Mulla Sadra on the Soul-Body Problem: A Comparative Investigation. Journal of Shi'a Islamic Studies, 4(4), 415-428.
- Rizvi, Sajjad. (2009). Mulla Sadra and Metaphysics: Modulation of Being. London: Routledge.
- Rumi, Jalaluddin (1990). Mathnawi of Jalaluddin Rumi. Translated by: Reynold Nicholson. London: Gibb Memorial Trust.
- Shirazi (Mulla Sadra), Sadr ad-Din Mohammad. (2008). Spiritual Psychology. London: ICAS Press.
- Shirazi (Mulla Sadra), Sadr ad-Din Mohammad. (2014). The Book of Metaphysical Penetrations. Provo: Brigham Young University Press.
- Shirazi (Mulla Sadra), Sadr ad-Din Mohammad. (1981). The Wisdom of the Throne. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Smith, Nicholas. (2015). Fuzzy Logics in Theories of Vagueness. Handbook of Mathematical Fuzzy Logic. Edited by: Petr Cintula, Christian Fermüller, and Carles Noguera. London: College Publications.
- Tye, Michael. (2021). Vagueness and the Evolution of Consciousness. Oxford: Oxford University Press.